As the resident Irishwoman of DesignAShirt, I can give you the facts on St. Paddy’s Day. While nearly 12% of all Americans claimed Irish heritage in 2008, my dad was born in Dublin, making me 50% Irish and pretty knowledgeable on the holiday that all Americans love to celebrate. So here are some interesting facts and common misconceptions…
- It isn’t St. Patty’s day… In Ireland, the nickname for Patrick (or Padraic) is Pat or Paddy, but not Patty (that is a woman’s nickname).
- Shamrocks have 3 leaves, not 4, symbolizing the Christian Trinity.
- 1% of total annual beer consumption occurs on March 17th.
- Using food coloring to dye beer green is only common in North America.
- Don’t joke about Leprechauns being imaginary creatures. Just like many people believe in ghosts, spirits, or Bigfoot’s existence, Leprechauns or Fairies are considered very real for some Irish men and women.
Here are some funny designs to consider for next year’s celebration. You can click on the thumbnails below, visit our St Patrick’s Day T-Shirt Design Ideas page, or you can go to our Design Studio to start from scratch!
I hope you all have a safe and happy St. Patrick’s Day.
More Custom St. Patrick’s Day T-Shirts here!